Monday, August 15, 2011

On Myths and Legends

I like reading, a lot, it makes for a wonderful way to pass time, exercise the imagination, go exploring far away and fantastic locales, get a glimpse of simple or complicated lives, worlds, etc. By far the genre that I enjoy the most is fantasy in all of it’s flavors, epic, high or the more simple “sword and sorcery”.

Archetypal fantastic location
The one unifying theme throughout this novels, in any of their forms, is their origin, they all come in some way, from the myths and legends we've inherited from Europe (and more recently borrowing heavily from Asia), almost every single creature (dragons, goblins, werewolfs, gargoyles, vampires, etc) has been subject to revisions and retellings, every folktale has been tiwsted and turned in every shape and form, every part of them has been reimagined, retooled, refited and scrambled beyond recognition. 

But wait, this is a good thing, it gives us, the readers, the opportunity to look at the classic themes form a fresh perspective, to get exited by new characters either heroes or villains, in some cases they give us the chance to find nuggets of wisdom that allow for "real world" personal growth, and in others, the opportunity to be entertained by the otherworldly machinations of kings and sorcerers, the heroic deeds of peasants and nobles or the simple joy of fighting the dragon and rescuing the princess.

Thinking about that, got me wondering, wondering at the tales and legends from my own ancestry, could it be possible to take the same liberties with the mesoamerican cultures? Twist, turn, retell, revise, etc. all of the fantastic creatures, places and myths from a time before the European influence gave us the dragons, the trolls, the hobbits. Would it be possible to make it grow to a full fledged fantastic place, as alive as Middle Earth or Westeros?

I think we can do better
on a full armor
I don't style myself as a novelist, heck you'll have a hard time getting me to admit I like to write (and calling myself a writer is out of the question), but, this is one of the reasons I started this blog, to give me freedom to explore, freedom to try and answer those and many more questions. 

So, be forewarned, future posts will contain from time to time, scenes from what I believe this fantastic world looks like, a world where ancient mesoamerican myths are real and they were left alone on their own devices to grow and evolve, a place where the author has no respect for the correct historical purpose of things, creatures, rituals or deities, in essence, a world where anything goes, but that is solidly based on a mesoamerican perspective (of course salted with some of that rich European tradition).

Some people have told me that they're having trouble leaving comments, it should be fixed now, in any casa I added the option to allow anonymous comments, any input is always appreciated.

That's it for this update, see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I hope this time the system accept my comment... well not whit my account... anyway.
    I will love to see this world, to see the greatness of Quetzalcoatl the same way I see an Ancient Red Dragon; or the fearless ability of a Jaguar Warrior in the jungle.
    By the way, In the Mesoamerican perspective, a sorcerer powerful enough to transform himself or other person into an animal is called "Nagual". (Maybe you can use this info)

    Luos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the adaptation. Just have fun with it; that's the best tip I can offer.

    You're only limited by what your imagination can think of- so go wild with it, don't hesitate, as crazy as anything you come up with might seem, remember that its a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete